Saturday, February 13, 2016

Creative Writing-What is in a name?

What is in a name?
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Shakespeare said that in Romeo and Juliet. Many writers and poets have used that same phrase.
Of course, the meaning behind it is "names are not important only the individuals are".

When writing a short story or novel, I attempt to put a lot of thought into the names of my characters.

I envision what they look like and how they act and then decide on names to match them.

I don't know how other writers chose their characters names but I have found that works for me.

So what is in a name?

I think it's important to the writer to pick the perfect name for the character they are creating.

In my book The Magic Herb- I picked the name Nora as the main character because she was a warm, kind, woman searching for happiness and love. A name like Bettany, Carol, or Monica etc I felt would not convey the troubles and challenges Nora faces in the story.

If you are a writer share how you pick names for your characters. If not, what's your opinion?
I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.


Until next time
Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment